Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> OK - it's late and I had a long day.  I switch on the tube and catch
> an episode of Mad About You.  Bada Bing ... there's a 6x7 with a
> Polaroid back playing a supporting role.  The camera got as much air
> time as some of the stars.  Big tele lens on that sukka, too.  Kool!

Heh, I remember catching that episode once.  I laughed a lot for two reasons:

1) Paul Reiser kept saying "Wow, look at this zoom!" when he was using a prime,

and

2) It was the 200mm f4, so in 35mm terms, it was around 100mm.  Not
exactly super-telephoto (though it certainly looked it), and certainly
not capable of producing the image of the guys waaaaayyyyyy down the
street that it did in the episode.

Oh, and my girlfriend at the time saw it with me and said, "That's the
camera you have, isn't it?  Why don't you get that lens?"

Arrrrrgh!

This is part of why I was astounded by the otherwise-doofusy film
Vertical Limit (which is the kind of film where the heroes have to climb
a mountain with nitroglycerine strapped to their backs because...oh,
just because it's more dangerous than climbing up a mountain)...the main
character, a National Geographic photographer, has a scene where he's in
a blind, shooting with an F5 and a 400mm lens, tripoded properly,
sandbagged, even using the camera right!  But then his assistant loads
the second F5 body, and they cut to a closeup of the roll of Gold Max
they're loading into it.

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!

-Aaron