>From: George Sinos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Eliminating the technology threshold opens up the field to more folks
>that
>are good at seeing the image but not good technologists.

The "leaves you free to concentrate on framing" theory.  I find
increasingly that pros are trusting automation to handle the technical
stuff because what really matters is content.  More of my co-workers now
use matrix-metering, AF, etc.

As I understand it, Steve McCurry (the National Geographic afghan girl
photographer) has always been in the "let the camera do the technical
stuff" camp.  I certainly have known pros with great image-capturing
talent who were shaky technically.

I'm more intrigued by the "technology inhibits greatness" argument that
someone implied.  Assuming that great photographers are a given percentage
of the total, there should be MORE great photographers now because there
are more photographers total.  Given that web publishing is cheap and
easy, we should be able to see lots of great photograpny.  The argument,
apparently, is that we don't and therefore it can be suspected that
intelligent cameras are inhibiting greatness.  I'm not sure I agree that
we don't see more great photography, but I might believe that not having
to really learn the technical basis of photography might stunt a
photographer's development of his craft.  The idea that you don't have to
learn anything to get decent pictures may keep you from getting involved
and aggressively working on technique.

>From what I can see, in the areas where technology and automation are
a big win in speed and ease of use, the photography HAS gotten a lot
better.  The standards in sports action and photojournalism have gotten
a LOT higher.  I'll betcha that the pictures that the average guy takes
of his kids are better too, with AF that works and auto flash.  Remember
that a lot of the historic "great photos" were POSED, because you almost
had to back then to guarantee you got what you wanted.  That's fine for
some kinds of work, but a moral slippery slope for others.  The ethical
standards have probably improved as the technical ability to get what
you want without cheating has improved.

In other sub-genres of photography where technical skill is still
necessary (studio lights don't have a "program mode") or speed of
working isn't an issue there is probably less positive impact of
technology.  Smarter cameras probably won't help develop the next
Ansel Adams, and may actually work against it.   They can be a real
boon for the Weegees of the world.

DJE