Actually peoples, one more thing, before I hit the hay.  I just discovered
that the HP Photo S20 scanner lists in its specs that while it has a
scanning resolution of 2400dpi for negs, it only has 36-bit colour depth as
compared with the 1200x1200dpi scanning resolution and 42-bit colour depth
of the CanoScan D660U.  Does anybody have enough technical knowledge to be
able to compare the differences that the 36-bit vs 42-bit would offer?  How
does 1200x1200 dpi compare with a res. which is listed just as 2400dpi?

Phew, I am gonna be a scanner guru when I get through all of this....

fairy.