He just scanned the test target instead of photographing it and scanning the film. His results are meaningless comparing them to the rest. Also note, without reading deeply, it seems that the tests also reflect the film and lens used by each tester. In other words like a lot of well meaning tests you can determine nothing from these as they are not sufficiently standardized.

--

David Miers wrote:

Has anyone ever tried using a flatbed designed for scanning negatives with a chemical darkroom enlarger? I've been tossing this idea around and think it might actually work. You would of course have to work in a dark room lighting type of situation here as well to avoid outside light affecting the scan. Instead of scanning a tiny negative, you would be scanning an image as large as a print. Any thoughts? I'm wondering if you would have to get a different light source then is normally used in an enlarger though? In the scanner bake off at James Photography a 1200 dpi scanner using a reflective device of some sort clearly had the best appearing image thus far, although the MTF numbers were the lowest. Anyone know what kind of setup that is?

http://www.jamesphotography.ca/bakeoff2004/scanner_test_results.html

Currently the very bottom one on the list.

Dave

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com/graywolf.html