William Robb wrote:

Wow, what a long subject line.......

Anyway, I solved my erratic exposure problems with the istD today, but
discovered an odd operational function.....
I don't know if this is documented or not, but.......
with the camera in manual mode, if one depresses the AE lock button
momentarily, the aperture and shutter speed compensate for each other: when
one value is changed, the other one changes in the opposite direction to
keep the exposure constant.

This harkens back to a number of manual 35mm cameras, where the two settings were locked together.
You could defeat the arrangement with a bit of extra force, but for casual setting changes, they kept the EV the same whenever any different setting was tried.
I think it's a good idea!

Normal operation resumes when the AE lock is depressed a second time.

William Robb

keith whaley