I'm confused about the difference in image quality between the F28/2.8 and
the FA28/2.8. I understand that the FA has a new optical formula that uses
an aspherical element. But some sources seem to indicate that the F is
better than the FA, while others seem to indicate that the FA is an
improvement over the F.

Can those of you who have used both shed any light on this for me? What
are the relative advantages and disadvantages of the F28/2.8 and the
FA28/2.8?

I would be using it mainly as a normal lens on my *ist D, so I'm only
interested in the middle ~43% of the images they make on film negatives.

I understand the FA has some light falloff in the corners at wide
aperatures, but I don't care about that.

Thanks,

Greg