We have a couple of Zebra Finches as well...

They had babies, one has survived. The mother did not. She flew out of the cage during feeding and when straight into the window. The father had to try and raise three babies himself. He did a pretty good job.

We suspect the Gouldians did the two babies in. While finches in general seem to get along well with other finches, behavior can apparently change markedly when sitting on eggs/raising a brood.

Tom C.

From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gouldian Finches... Was OT: SciFi was:Re: Camera Bag Enabled
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:42:19 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C" < Subject: Now: Gouldian Finches... Was OT: SciFi was:Re: Camera Bag Enabled

> Birds of a feather, Bill? > > Speaking of birds... we have always loved birds and bird-watching. Many > different wild kinds at our home. Our parakeet recently succombed to the > passage of time. Was it Thoreau that said, "Time is the fire in which we > burn"? > > I digress... Gouldians are largely from Austrailia, the size of Zebra > Finches, and have bright, exotic, parrot-like colors. Our's have just had > their first brood... one has hatched... can't wait to see the colors... > > Any ideas on the best way to photograph? Bird cage bars get in the way!!!

We use to keep Zebra Finches. Really cool little birds.
Somewhere, I have some good pictures of them from when they escaped
from the cage during cleaning.

This evokes some fun memories.
We had three cats at the time. Any time the birds got out, we didn't
try to catch them, we had to catch the very suddenly feral cats.

William Robb