PJA> offering both IMHO.  It seems Europeans, at least
PJA> Germans are being ripped off.

Bah, you should have seen the prices here in Czechia ;-)

Real prices depend a lot on the country, importer and the mother
organisation. For example, Pentax here isn't true Pentax subsidiary,
it's just a small importer. That's why the IstD prices in Czechia are
high. But for example even some higher-end (2.8) Sigma lenses, and all
Cosina lenses, are about 20-30% (!) cheaper here than in Germany. And I could
get (if I was into studio photography that much) Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n for
~3000 Euro (new!). Try to match THAT!!! :)

Sadly, most other equipment (photographic) is cheaper in the US.
Except the Cosina Voigtländer lenses, most items are about 30% less in
the US.

Generally (except the UK), US "official" prices (from the producer)
are about the same as here in the EU, but one price is in $, the other
in Euro. Which makes a realworld difference quite big, because dollar
is currently quite lower than Euro. I am considering getting some items
(flashes) from the US.

Best regards,
   Frantisek Vlcek