----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom C"
Subject: Re: Epson 2200

> I'm got just enough knowledge to be dangerous in this area...
>
> This is a wide open question, to which the answer is obvious, but
why did
> you find it a waste?  I assume you felt that it did not accurately
profile
> your monitor in such a manner that made a difference by the time
your print
> came out of the printer?  Dumb question, I'm sure.

In a digital printing environment such as is typical to the home
user, the system is, by definition, a closed loop.
You input a file, you manupilate the file until it is visually
acceptable, and then you print the file.
If the print doesn't match the screen image, then you can adjust the
printer driver until a match has been accomplished, usually in a few
small prints.
A lot of the stuff that is out there, such as monitor calibrators,
are inventions of computer people who don't have a clue about what
they are doing, and so insist on taking a paint by numbers approach
to the problem of matching print to screen.

I can see the need if you need to match your screen to a reference
standard that has been arbitrarily set by a particular industry
(graphic artists and stock photographers fit this category), but for
the home user who wants to knock off a few inkjet prints now and
again, it isn't needed.
Go and buy another lens instead.

If you are working with a photo lab, and are trying to get good
colour from a file, then a bit of work by both parties is involved.
However, it is still a visual reference, not a paint by numbers
reference that will get you close to what the lab is outputting.

William Robb