We have a Bogen 3001 (older one, before the horizontal centerpost
trick in the newer series).  We also have a Slik 300 DX, which is
cheaper, more stable, goes lower, and comes with a nice pan/tilt
with quick release plate.

Both are a little short if you're taller than, say, 5' 7".  I'm
5' 9", and to use either at my eye height, I've got to use almost
every bit of centerpost extension on either.  For vertical shots,
flopping the head, I've got to hunker down a tad.

If the newer 3001s use essentially the same legset as the older
3001s, I'd definately spring for the Slik.  With the legs fully extended,
the Slick covers a much wider area where it contacts the ground;
it's not _nearly_ as tippy as the Bogen 3001.  Better, grippier rubber
footies on the Slik, too.

The only downside of the Slik is that the centerpost uses a 1/4"
thread, rather than the more standard 3/8" thread, which isn't all
that bad, given the number of accessory heads on the market that come
with the 3/8 to 1/4 bushing already inserted.

Others may advise you to buy a bigger, more stable tripod.  I dunno
about that.  I've also got a Bogen 3221, which is taller, heavier, and more
stable.  But it comes along only if I KNOW I'm gonna need it.  The
Slik 300 is my "go to" tripod for everyday use, and still delivers
most of my tripod shots.

cbwaters wrote, in part:
So, I'm looking at the Bogen 3001.
I don't have anything heavy to hang off of it yet but envision having a 300
2.8 some day.  Something light but sturdy and functional is what I need.
any objections for that model?  Or suggestions for better ones?