 From: "Peter Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:03:36 +0100
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: EV

On my SFXn the indicator in the LCD display says EF (exposure factor) not EV
but I assume we are talking about the same thing.  Set the EF to a "+"
factor to overexpose (compensate for light backgrounds) and "-" to
underexpose (compensate for dark subjects / backgrounds).  The overall
lightness of the subject and background combined will be judged by the
meter.  If this is overall dark then the meter will try to brighten it to an
average tone.  So without compensation your subject will overexpose.  As it
is naturally dark - under exposing slightly will take the brightened picture
back down to it's natural tones.  (does any of that make sense?)

I often find that in difficult situations like you describe, that pointing
the camera down and metering from the grass gives a fairly accurate reading.
The SFX has a ML button doesn't it?  Additionally I recall reading on this
list just a few days ago that most colour print film benefits from slight
over exposure anyway.

Peter

---- End Original Message ----

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail