I haven't a clue about all this.  Don't know where sepia comes into all
this since nothing I've done involves a sepia conversion.  What you're
saying seems overly complicated and rather messy to me. I'll have to read
this again when I have more time.

But, here's the thing: you must have a color image with a good range of
tones beneath the Hue/Saturation layer that you're manipulating in order to
adjust the B&W tones and get something that looks close to "real" B&W as a
result.  Just desaturating a color image doesn't cut it (unless you want a
shortcut method and crap for a result), and fiddling with the eyedropper is
something I just don't understand.

What I do understand, after converting numerous color images to B&W is that
the posted technique is superior in every way to desaturating or converting
an image to grey scale.  There are, as I may have mentioned, a couple of
other techniques that also do a good job, all of which afford good control
of the grey scale and allows the user to put a very good and fine tonal
rendition into the final result based on what was in the original
photograph, and which emulates to a degree the use of true B&W emulsions
and, if you so desire, the use of filters.

So, what we have is a color image, manipulated with the Hue/Saturation
layer, and the flattened to produce a "pure" B&W image.  There is no color
information in the final result.

And why would an srgb image be more useful in photoshop if what you want as
an end result is a B&W image.  I don't understand that comment at all.
What filters would you be talking about?

Shel