AC> even what I consider the most believable results from photodo doesn't give
AC> that good score (and their results seem to match my experience so far).

Well, they didn't mine. Photodo is, by now, old, they do not explain
enough how they test the lenses, and where did they get the lenses (some of
them are discontinued). The worst is they claim to be scientific, by
using MTF testing, but that's cr*p still untill you know precisely
how they tested it. Lens testing is a bunch of cr*p, unless you do a
real world test with your lenses, and still it doesn't tell so much
about other sample of the lens, with some new lenses having quite
loose tolerances. And some of the long discontinued lenses - how many
samples did they test, anyway? Just one? etc.

That to say, that was a comment made on photodo and lens testing, not
at you :-) From all the past, I respect you quite a lot.

Best regards,
   Frantisek Vlcek