I had this lens, and liked it. It was small, very small, but
produced good results. Of course maybe I got a best-of-the-flock
specimen while Shel had a bad one. It was sharp, and while not super
contrasty, it was still good in contrast. I have many slides shot with
it, it was excellent travel lens in the mountains. The primes I had
alongside were better, but still, it IMO is better than consumer
zooms. Only think I disliked was the push-pull design, which (although
damped well) exhibited zoomcreep when held vertically (which is a pita
on a tripod shooting something straight up or down). But plain rubber
band can solve it, and the AF Nikkor 2.8/80-200 (1 ring) had much much much
worse zoom creep. It also has rotating front, which is pita with
polariser. But I do not use polarisers much, so I didn't mind. The
built-in hood is just for fun though.

I can recommend this lens. It was perfect on MX, along with a wide
prime or 24-35.

The Tamron SP 70-210 3.5 is slightly better, and the 2.8 pro zooms are
better, but not by that much. And it has better coating than the
Tamron.

It's also very well built.

Test it if you can before buying, as indeed some old lenses can be
mistreated.

Fra