Trying cropping it just a bit at the bottom, to remove the reddish stone and the two bright stones at lower right. It makes the backgound compete less with the"model."

Steve Desjardins wrote:

I was walking in the evening a few days ago and it started raining. I
noticed a number snails moving out of the grass onto the wet road. Taking my *ist D out of the plastic shopping bag (yes I was prepared)
and getting down on the road I took this with an A50 1.7.

http://home.wlu.edu/~desjardi/

I'm not completely happy with this. I got most of the snail in focus,
but the center of the shell is a bit off, as is the end of one "stalk" In addition, there are some blown highlights on the shell. The big
problem though is that I find the out of focus gravel to be distracting. Any ideas? I tried selecting the blurred positions and
doing a Gaussian blur to soften them a bit, but the contrast with the
sharp gravel "path" was too much. Any suggestions?

I am planning a series of B&W's of snails playing saxophones for money
in Lexington, but they're not ready yet . . . ;-)