On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Jeff Post wrote:
>          I have my sensors confused.  I knew Sony made a 8 meg sensor, but
> I was thinking of the canon sensor.  Yes, I know it is an evil word, but in
> a year I would be surprised if that canon 8 meg sensor isn't in a camera at
> the 10D price point.

The rumors that I've read are a 1.3x crop factor 8mp sensor in the
Canon 10D mk 2 for $2200 list, about $1900 street, coming out around
Photokina (or whatever the sept show is).

> This is what makes Canon so tempting.  I can replace
> my wife's 35mm canon A2 with the 10D and start to get a few high quality
> lenses.  When the 8 meg sensor comes into a camera I can afford, then I
> could buy it, having already procured the lenses for my wife.  This is what
> is so frustrating about Pentax.  There is no pentax path of this kind.  Ah,
> and before you say why not just buy the *istD for the wife, she would look
> at me like I had three heads if I tried to get her to shoot with it.  Even
> though she loves the output of my LX, she knows. and loves, the EOS system
> (you know, turn the dial to the running guy so she can shoot a tennis match.)
> This is where Pentax has, and is continuing, to miss the boat.  How many of
> us who love to shoot with Pentax gear jump ship because either the product
> we want isn't available or we don't have faith that they will ever produce
> the product we need until 1 to 2 years after it has been produced by other
> manufacturers?

Pentax is a small company (as far as camera equipment goes, I know
that they are large in other businesses) with little pro support to
fund developing all of those goodies.  If you aspire to high end
products then I don't think that they are really the right choice
right now.

On the other hand I'd be waiting forever for Canon or Nikon to make a
body the size of the *ist D which took AA batteries.  I've used the
D30, 10D, and 300D and they are all nice cameras, but not for me.
THe 300D is about the same weight, but doesn't have the same build.

alex