I can't claim great expertise on other brands of fish-eye lenses but the Pentax 17mm f4 is quite small and light
next to most other fish-eyes that I've handled. The results it produces are more than respectable and you can usually
find them for quite reasonable prices, especially if you're not trying for a pristine "collectors" quality example. The
one I have is quite beat up but still takes photos flawlessly.

Barry Rice wrote:

Hey Folks,

I'm in the market for a good fish-eye lens for my ZX-5n. (Well, really, it's
for me.)

I'm looking at buying either a used Pentax 17/4.0, or perhaps a Sigma
15/2.8. Does anyone on this list have comments about either lens? I tend to
stick with Pentax lenses, but if the 17/4.0 is considered comparatively weak
next to the Sigma 15/2.8, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I do macro work so always focus manually. What matters to me is the quality
of the optics. I like an extremely deep depth of field, so I expect I'll be
shooting with the lens stopped down all the way...

Cheers

Barry

Barry A. Rice, Ph.D.
FAQ--Author