Multi point AF is better in low light.  I have experienced the same, if you
use center point you will get poor results in low light.

-That GUy

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Tainter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 8:31 PM
To: pdml
Subject: RE: Af speed of the *ist D

Low light autofocus on the *ist D sucks. It just sucks. For me, this is
perhaps its most disappointing quality. I say this based on extensive
use of the supposedly "antiquated" autofocus on the PZ-1p, which is far
superior in low light. With the *ist D, I will just focus manually if
the light is low.

I use only the central autofocus point so I can control what the camera
focuses on.

The flash assist is only marginally useful. There are too many places
where flash cannot be used. If I used it to focus when I am trying to
get a portrait of one of our cats, the cat would be gone long before the
shutter trips. The slowest cat is faster than Pentax autofocus.

Joe