Chris Brogden wrote:

> As a rule, if the camera sees a lot of bright things, it will try to make
> them darker (to roughly 18% reflectance), so a bright background can
> darken a foreground subject, and you might want to overexpose a
> bit.  Conversely, a dark background can cause your camera to
> overexpose.  This is a function of meters that measure reflected
> light.  If you measure incident / ambient light, your exposure will be the
> same regardless of what your subject is.

EV is a feature on my LX I haven't used yet because I'm not sure I fully
understand it. Am I correct in conceptualizing it thus?

  In terms of the match needle in my K1000, a bright scene (snow, sand, etc.)
  makes the needle ride high, which is the camera's way of telling you
  to stop down. You're free to ignore that advice, and in this case you
  should. With autoexposure the camera makes the choice, so you dial in
  a positive EV as a way of "forcing the needle back up," as it were.
  The opposite is true for under-lit scenes, so you use negative EV.

Is that close to the mark, or am I full of it?

Regards,
Stephen Moore