I'm a P51 Mustang man, and that red racing version sure did look cool...

The SR-71 Blackbird looked awesome as well...

Great stuff Christian. Thanks for the look in at the Smithsonian!

Cheers

Shaun

frank theriault wrote:

--- Christian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
The Smithsonian institution opened a new museum near

Dulles Airport in Virginia in December last year. My new employer (without naming names, it's the
largest "online" company in "America") had an "All
hands" meeting there last night. We basically had
the place to ourselves for 4 hours (i was there for
only 2 and shot 100 frames or so).

the scale of the place is amazing.  Yes that is a
real 707 parked next to the Concorde, adjacent to
the B29... etc, etc.  The scary part is that there
is room for even more large aircraft.  Oh, yeah, the
space shttle "Enterprise" has its very own space as
well (it never orbited, by the way, it was used for
atmospheric (glider) testing and practice).

Anyway, here are 18 pictures where I try to convey
the scale and uniqueness of the place.

Comments always welcome.

http://home.mindspring.com/~c_skofteland/id20.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~c_skofteland/id21.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~c_skofteland/id22.html

http://home.mindspring.com/~c_skofteland/id23.html

Christian

Hi, Christian,

Some pretty cool stuff there. Geez, looks like one
could lose one's self for hours (days?) in there!

Like Norm, I love the Thunderbolt. One butt-ugly
plane, but I understand the pilots loved it. Same
with the Phantom. I love it, but damn it's ugly! IIRC, Dan flew them in Vietnam. I'll bet we'll hear
from him on this thread (if we haven't already - gotta

Again, Christian, some great shots.  It's not easy to
make things in a museum look interesting and
"different" (for lack of a better word), but you
succeeded in spades here.

cheers,
frank

=====
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears it is
true."  -J. Robert Oppenheimer

Dr. Shaun Canning
P.O. Box 21, Dampier, WA,
6714, Australia.