----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Morphet"
Subject: RE: 6x7 'X' setting

> William Robb wrote:
>
> >> probably starting with a 200mm lens.
> > Get the newer SMC Pentax one. It is a lot better than the
Takumar.

> I'll look out for one.  I've read that the SMC Pentax lens has the
> advantage of focusing closer than the Takumar.  Is it also improved
> in other respects?

First, the Tak is by no means a bad lens, it is just not one of their
better attempts. The SMC is, from what people I have talked to, one
of their better lenses.
My impression is that the newer lens is somewhat sharper at open
apertures, and has better flare resistance.

> >The meter doesn't operate when the shutter is set to X.
> >Since you don't have a meter, there is no difference.
> >The 6x7 is 100% battery dependent.
>
> Thanks.  I knew there would be a simple explanation.

One thing to note, the shutter speed dial is quite easy to knock off
it's setting if you have the speed adaptor ring mounted (I think it
only came with the meter prism though).
Check you shutter speeds frequently if you are using the speed ring.

William Robb