Hi,

>> I think this whole finger thing came from wars between the French and
>> the British during medieval times.  Evidently the French would remove
>> this finger form British  prisoners so they couldn't use a long bow
>> correctly, the British would brandish the middle finger to indicate its
>> continued presence and a foreshadowing of arrows to come.  It may all be
>> apocryphal, but I like the story anyway.

In those days they were English, not British.

> It's a nice story, but it has absolutely no basis in fact.
> (For a start, the English brandish two fingers, not just one.)

The business about cutting off bow fingers as the origin of the
English flicking a V seems to be quite well attested. I have seen
it mentioned by professional historians. The Franks had a law
dating to the dark ages which made it a punishable offence to cut
off a bowman's draw fingers.

As far as I can tell, showing someone your middle finger as an insult
is a fairly recent thing here in Britain. I don't remember people doing
it when I was young, and I remember thinking it was an American import
when I started to see it more often. But I do remember how rude it was
to flick Vs.

--
Cheers,
 Bob