On 6 Jul 2004 at 18:20, Jostein wrote:

> Thanks, Rob,
>
> I too suspected most DSLR's except the Kodaks to be that way.
> Not having seen how a 6 Mpix image would look without anti-aliasing, it makes me
> wonder. Nikon has apparently implemented a middle way with D70, doing some of
> the anti-aliasing in software instead.
>
> Here's a quote from Yatish Kumar's review at
> http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/D70/:

Their understanding of sampling and aliasing differs from mine. The fact is
that no anti-aliasing software can convincingly repair problems caused by
presenting data to the sensor at higher then the Nyquist frequency to any
significant extent without downsampling (filtering) and losing a significant
amount of the wanted data.

Software simply can't predict whether the data that it sees is detail in the
scene or errors caused by aliasing between the sensor pixels and high frequency
image data.

I'd be please to be set straight If my understanding is off-line.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998