Quoting Anders Hultman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Recently I too have become an *istD owner,

Congrats, Anders!

> This M lens, however, kinda does work, but not really as expected:
>    Cosinon-T 135/3.5

Strange. I have only two shots in the dark, but at least you can easily check
them out:

Sometimes the aperture lever can be slightly bent so that the camera doesn't
catch it. In my experience, the newer cameras are more prone to this than older
cameras. Compare the distance between the aperture lever and the bayonet flange
with another lens. It's safe to bend it back into position with your fingers.

I haven't seen the Cosinon-T lenses, but I have an old Cosina bellows that
didn't work with TTL flash on the Z-1. The snag was that the bayonet on the
bellows was coated with black paint, and the trick was to scrape it off to
short the contacts on the camera bayonet. However, when I tried the same
bellows on the *istD in March, I had trouble getting proper exposures. I can't
recall the exact reason at the moment, but I suspect that the *istD is more
picky on which contacts to be shorted.

> Even more peculiar is this:
>    Tokina 28-200/3.5-5.3

IIRC, that series of tokinas were released just after the introduction of
autofocus, and I think the rationale behind the extended flange was to make
sure that people bought the AF version of the same lens for the newer cameras.
I had a Tokina 70-300 with the same problem once. It is easy to shorten the
flange if you have the right tools (a dremel would be ideal i think), but you
will have to unscrew the mount from the lens first. IIRC, that's a fairly
simple operation on those lenses, you can remove it without touching anything
else inside. It should take a qualified repairman less than 5 minutes for the
disassembling and reassembling, and maybe 5-10 minutes to cut the flange.

Cheers,
Jostein