I have two of these lenses, and there's no sign of any problems with the
glass.  I bought the first one used a few years ago, and was pleased with
the image quality, less so with the build quality.  The zoom ring became a
little loose over time, so I looked for another lens at a good price.

A few months ago, I saw the FA28-70 f4 on sale at Lens and Shutter here in
Victoria (BC, Canada) for $199 Cdn, so I bought one, keeping the first one
as a backup.  The new one is nice and tight, and takes great pictures.

I'm aware that there's a certain amount of distortion at the wide end.  I
had to crop one of my favorite photos to eliminate the curving ceiling/wall
joint.  Now, if I need a sharp wide-angle with almost no distortion, I use
the FA20-35 f4.

Having said all that, what's the attraction of this lens?  Several things:
it's inexpensive, compact and light, it has a focal range that's really good
for everyday use, it produces sharp pictures, and, fairly important to me,
it has a constant aperture.  I often shoot with studio flash and my MZ-S,
and a variable-aperture lens would be a big headache.

For over 90% of my studio work, I need only two lenses, the FA28-70 f4, and
the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO.  Just set 'em and shoot.  If the FA28-105
f3.2-4.5 was a constant f4, I very likely would have bought it instead, or
maybe the FA24-90 f3.5-4.5. but they're not.  Pentax, can you hear this?

Pat White