A model release is a legal contract. A minor can not be held to a contract, so if the person is under 18 you need a parent or gardians signature too. Note the too, I almost never see that mentioned, but once the party is 18, their parents signature is no longer binding upon them. Get both signatures. It is the smart thing to do.

It is very hard sometimes to locate people after the fact, so it is best to try and get the release right then and there. If the parents are nowhere near get contact information then contact them with a copies of the photos in hand.

BTW, giving them one of the prints is legally a "valuable" consideration just like money which covers your ass nicely. "Good" consideration is their pride in seeing the photo published which is not as strong a defense if it comes down to that. However, 99.9% of the time just because they signed something for you will prevent them from trying to sue, so consideration is not as important as many legal texts make it out to be.

Years ago I tried using the ASMP long form release. Almost no one would sign such an intimidating document. Nowadays I would use the ASMP form for nudes, paid models, and the like but now use a very simple release printed on 3x5 cards for everything else. Here is the text of what I use (the comment about lawful purpose is in there to reasure them that I am not going to explote them in some nasty way):

-------------------------------

PHOTO RELEASE

I ___________________________________ hereby give Tom Rittenhouse and/or his assignees permission to use photographs of me and/or my property taken by him for any lawful purpose.

SIGNATURE: _______________________________  DATE:_______________
(Parent or guardian must also sign if under 18 years of age.)

ADDRESS:________________________________________________________

PHONE:  ______________________ E-MAIL:__________________________

-----------------------------

Don Sanderson wrote:

Thanks!

Couple of last dumb questions:
I like to shoot children, with/without their pets involved.
I assume the releases would have to come from the parent/pet owner.
Also what does one do in the case of "Drive By" candids?
Do you stop and try to find the person to get a release?
I always keep a camera ready on the car seat, sometimes it would be very
difficult to stop and do that.

Don