I was the Managing Editor of a magazine in a previous life, so I'll vouch for the fussiness. Usually it has to do with the number of editorial pages per issue and what the publisher thinks will help support advertising. Sometimes I wasn't allowed to use the best material, because the publisher claimed he couldn't sell ads against that kind of editorial. The bottom line in magazine publishing is small and tenuous. Unfortunately, monetary considerations frequently dictate editorial in all but the very high end magazines.
Paul