On 14 Jul 2004 at 10:13, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> I think it is pretty obvious why the screwmount versions didn't
> use these "letterboxes". The screwmount lenses did not have the
> advantage of precise rotational orientation like the k mounts do
> because the fit varies slightly from body to body with screw mounts
> and "high noon" was seldom at 12:00. They did try/do it on one M42
> lens, the 300mm F4 SMCT. I never got the damn letterbox to line up
> with film gate either! I cant understand why they did that, bad move.

I think the only late lens I've owned that had something similar was the
A200/2.8 and that I removed so that I could use the XL series TCs on it.
Removing it didn't make a difference that I could detect.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998