> Rob Studdert wrote:
>
> > On 15 Jul 2004 at 21:43, Norm Baugher wrote:
> >

> >>Exactly, if you're traveling by car, load up as much gear as you can,
> >>then when you go out to shoot bag up just what you need.
> >

> > If I do this I'm always concerned about the safety of what I have left back in
> > the car especially when doing day treks etc.
>
> Wise move, in my humble opinion...
> There ARE folks out there that become very interested in finding out
> what you're concealing in a trunk/boot, whatever.
> Especially if you're seen picking and choosing what to put in your
> carry-about pack...
> Some of those interested folks can pop a trunk lid and be off with
> thousands of $$ of gear in less than a minute or two!

That's what insurance is for.

If I spent my life worrying about what might happen, I'd spend
all week cooped up in the house, never setting foot outside.

(Come to think of it, that's what I do, anyway.   But it's not
because I'm afraid of the risks the big wide world contains)

I bought my photographic equipment to use, not to leave at home.
(not that it's really any safer at home than locked in the trunk)
In any case, if you're really worried you can always get a nice
strong Pelican, and a security cable which you attach to some
nice strong point on the car.  That's going to delay a potential
thief long enough that you're safe from opportunistic losses.