Not being inmate with the finances of Leica and Co. cant comment on whether they could have afforded to produce their own digital backs - sounds like they must really be in the financial doldrums if true.

Personally it is a solution I like (apart from the cable).

Lets hope that the 645 DSLR at least supports the old lenses and that this isnt an afterthought like on the ist.
A.