But with the smaller frame on the *ist D you get the same (subject) image
size:
1.) From a Greater Distance with the same focal length.
2.) With a shorter Focal Length from the same distance.
Both of these conditions would INCREASE depth of field it seems to me.
Or is there some law of optics I'm not aware of at work here?

Don