[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Writing "OBO" without stating a time limit or mentioning that there is a
> "reserve" figure in mind is dishonest because in the absence of these
> conditions, the seller can keep refusing the highest offer indefinitely,
> explaining, "I'm still waiting for a better offer."

Hmm. I see your point, and agree that it may not be the ideal way to
sell something, but I fail to see where the dishonesty lay. I guess I've
always just thought  "$500 OBO" is biz-speak for "I think $500 is a fair
price, but I'm not sure what the market value is and am open to other
reasonable offers".

I don't see any intent to deceive...I guess I think of a private sale
more as a negotiation rather than an advertisement for goods like you
see in a magazine, and the OBO "clause" just allows haggling room.

> His ad said, "or best
> offer." Till when? Till Kingdom come? When will he finally realize that no
> one will outbid me in the foreseeable future, and he should honor the ad?

I didn't see the original ad you're referring to, so maybe I'm missing
something. Anyway, if you bid the price he asked, he *would* honor the
ad. If he didn't, then *that* would be dishonest, obviously...

tv