Have you tried Flavio's hints at :

http://pug.komkon.org/image_prep/PUG_Image_Prepration.html

He recommends the following compression software:

9. Compression

Any Imaging software will save your file in JPEG format but most of those will give you little control over the amount of compression you'll give the image. Some programs lets you set it in rather empirical levels like huge-big-medium-small compression or file size. The idea is to find the point in which the JPEG compression is not too visible yet allows for a substantial reduction of size. The best tool I've used so far is the JPEG Optimizer to be found at www.xat.com . Its straightforward and simple approach is the best option for controlling compression and having both images visible at the same time is really nice.

Tom C wrote:

Actually I take back what I said... I must have been too tired last night. Using Save for Web does allow me to save the file at 75K or less and get acceptable quality.

Adelheid also suggested Irfanview may produce a smaller file (which it does... without hiding things in so many menus and dropdowns).

I've used Irfanview just a little bit over the last several weeks, and for a free product, it's pretty nice.

Tom C.