hmmm, i always thought that "In re:" meant "in regards to..."

....which i guess equates to the same meaning as "in reference to..."

tan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stan Halpin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 22 July 2004 3:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Re (Was Re: Comment and Question (WAS: RE: Apology
for............))

Bob, On this side of the pond, using what is oxymoronically known as
American English, there is a businesspersons' phrase which is used as
follows: "Dear Mr. Jones: In re: your letter of the 5th,..." with the
apparent presumption being that 're' is short for 'reference'. I have
never seen/heard 'in re to...' which you might expect if 're' were
taken to be short for 'reply'.

Could it be that 're:' is in fact proper usage, that it is a shorthand
reference  to 'reference'?

Stan