>"Chris Brogden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I have a couple of questions about fungus on internal lens elements.  I
>> understand that it's possible to remove it with no damage to the glass
>> provided that it hasn't etched the glass or coatings.  Is this correct?

Here's the method that's worked for me:
Disassemble the lens (how's that for an oversimplified "step 1"?)
Remove the element(s) with fungus.
Soak them in alcohol. Overnight is usually enough but if 24 hours isn't
sufficient then you should give up, I suspect. This has removed fungus very
effectively for me.
I've never tried Ponds cold cream but the active ingredient, so to speak, in
Ponds is mineral oil so I usually follow up the alcohol soak with a mineral oil
treatment. Then I clean with Windex or similar window cleaner and finally I use
a photography-specific lens cleaner made for multicoated lenses (purchased from
the Filter Connection at http://www.2filter.com/).
Reassemble lens very carefully and then see how it works.

Mark