Hi, Chris,

Having re-read your post, I see what you're saying.  If you're selling a (let's say)
lens for "$500 obo", and I offer $50, you can say, "well, I acknowledge your offer,
but since I didn't say "$500 obo before April 30, I'm going to wait for a better
offer".

To an extent, you're right, but I don't think that "clears the vendor of legal
responsibility".  If no one else "bids" on it, the vendor can't simply withdraw the
offer, once the offer is accepted by someone (in this case, me).  If no time limit
is set, the vendor can wait, but at some point, I, as seller, can say, "okay, a
reasonable time period has passed, you have no other offers, I want the lens for the
$50".

The question, of course, is:  "What is a reasonable time period"?  That, for better
or worse, is what mediators, arbitrators, and ultimately, courts are for.

Of course, in the real world, I'm not going to take you to court to enforce a $50
contract.  But it sure wouldn't stop me from thinking that the vendor is a real
sleaze-ball (not you of course - I'd never think that!)

But then, being a reasonably intelligent person, and an honourable and astute
businessman, you'd never make such an open-ended offer, would you?  ;-)

regards,
frank