Joseph Tainter wrote:

Can anyone recommend an affordable flexible flash bracket that will flex forward for macro shots? I don't want to spend $160 for the one that Wimberly offers.

Any advice on this, or other solutions, appreciated.

Joe

My solution was a cheap medium-format flash grip from eBay - tilt & swivel at the base, with a ball & socket cold-shoe mount. Coupled with a Pentax AF240FT flash, this setup isn't too heavy, and the grip makes it very comfortable to hold. As you can see from the links below, there are enough degrees of freedom to position the flash pretty much anywhere you need. http://www.ddixon.force9.co.uk/misc/flashgrip1.jpg
http://www.ddixon.force9.co.uk/misc/flashgrip2.jpg
An example of the results of this setup:
http://www.ddixon.force9.co.uk/gc_david/France2004/Dragonflies%20&%20Damselflies/imgp1645.html

Incidentally, I've broken the knob on mine, so if anyone comes across one of these and doesn't want it, I'd like to know! Mine is German-made, possibly by Rowi, if that helps,

David