Hi, Lasse.

> Always nice to see that you're still around and to get your
> comments, as I know how well founded they are.

Well, I don't know about the "well founded" part - <Har!>, but I do
chip in once in a while, when I think I might have something to add.

> Thanks for the link. I never saw your normal lens resolution page
> before. Now I've bookmarked it. Looking at some of the figures I
> notice that your findings may not completely correspond with
> Yoshihiko's results. Or do they and I'm missing something in
> interpreting them?

Well, test are just tests.  (Heck, that sounded somewhat profound to
me when I thought it, but it looks kind of trite now in print -
<g>.)  There are ~so~ many variables involved in testing that it
would be rather unusual to find a number of separate tests agreeing
in all respects.  Rather, I offered my results simply as "adding a
little fuel to the [lens evaluations] fire".  Since Yoshihiko's
methods were different from mine, it is impossible to compare them
directly.  However, if all those of us who have test results (or
other written evaluations) offer them to the community, then we all
can benefit from reading them and then deciding for ourselves...

> (And, if you don't mind the OT - Are you still keeping a close
> watch on the whales? Can't stop being fascinated by what you told
> me about them.)

Well, not as frequently as before.  The position of "whale watch
naturalist" is a competitive one, and I had to give up my full-time
(although seasonal, of course) position with the fleet I'd been
working with since 1980, due to taking on a full-time software
engineer job, in the spring of 2000.  (Of course, the vacuum created
by my "demotion" from full-time to part-time naturalist was
immediately filled by an eager "naturalist-in-waiting".)

However, a couple of months after the 9/11 tragedy, I was laid off
from my software engineer job (along with about half of the
engineers I worked with).  So (and despite the current
administration's bragging about how the economy is coming around),
for the last few years, I've been reduced to eking out an existence
with a number of part-time jobs (e.g., part-time whale watch
naturalist, part-time software engineer, part-time college
instructor, part-time tutor for high school students, part-time
church secretary, etc.). Well, I guess the bottom line is that I
don't get to see the whales as often as I used to - <g> - it seems
that being "senior naturalist" means not much more than merely
having the title of "senior naturalist" - <g>.  Oh, well...

However, it's probably just as well in some ways (referring to my
part-time status as naturalist).  The job is sometimes rather
physically demanding, and I'm (here comes the Understatement of the
Day) Not As Young As I Used To Be.  I'm not always so willing to
admit it, but the day-to-day wear-and-tear on my body from working
on boats under all sorts of conditions on a full-time basis is
rather tough for an old guy like me - <g>.  I guess it is probably
wise to leave such abuse to the younger naturalists - <g>.  Oh,
well...

Well, Lasse, that's "the long and the short of it" (mostly "the long
of it", too, I guess - Sorry - <g>).

Fred