To adjust the diopter:

Point the camera at something moderately bright that has noting to focus on. A evenly lite wall works well.

Adjust the diopter until the viewfinder screen, not the wall looks sharp. Luckily modern cameras always seem to have all kinds of distracting things on them to focus on.

Anyway, at this point the screen is in focus. Since you actually are focusing the image on the screen, not the subject, it should also now be sharp.

Simple as that.

--

Amita Guha wrote:

Do you have the diopter correctly adjusted?

Hmm...not sure. How do I know if it's adjusted properly?

Don't over analyze focus. When it looks sharp, take the picture.

Yep, I've been doing that, and even when I think I'm right, it turns out
I'm not. But I'll try adjusting the diopter. Thanks for the tip.

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com/graywolf.html