I forgot to mention the need for that really big flash unit or heavy weight tripod at 600mm. On the other hand
at 400mm f8 it's almost reasonable, it is exceedingly light weight for a 400mm.

Frantisek Vlcek wrote:

Monday, August 2, 2004, 6:47:02 PM, Peter wrote:
PJA> I have one, it's not bad.  I seldom use it and from my experience it's
PJA> not very practical at 600mm but you can
PJA> use it at that focal length in a pinch.

IIRC, it has variable aperture f/8 to f/12 as you zoom. f/12 is really
slow for a 600mm lens. Probably only usable for photographing nuclear blast
tests ;-)

(ok, it might be interesting for a landscape photographer for distant
views like mountains where you might need zooming for tight
compositions - the slow aperture will not be a problem there, and the
lens might be small and light enough for a hiking bag)

fra