> On Aug 5, 2004, at 10:13 AM, frank theriault wrote:
>
> > I think he, in his later life, claimed that he never
> > cropped, but that's simply not true.
>
> The obituary in the NYTimes said "He insisted that his works not be
> cropped...."
>
> It's an interesting read:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/04/obituaries/04CND-CARTIER.html
>
> I recall seeing some of HCB's photos at the ICP some years back. They
> were printed with the negative frame showing. Aesthetics aside, I
> suppose that helped to demonstrate that there was no cropping.
>
> --jc

If you look at the HCB Retrospective at Magnum, you'll find that
there is a requirement that the images be used exactly as shown,
with no cropping (and not for commercial purposes).  But this does
not mean that the images as shown are uncropped, and in fact the
famous shot of the construction zone behind the station is cropped
(as is mentioned in the accompanying description).

That's actually one of the HCB shots I really like.  That one, the
rather abstract bicycle+railings (department Vars?), and the post-
WW II shot of a collaborator being denounced are my favourites.  A
lot of his other works (in particular many of the Marseilles beach
shots, and much of the street portraiture) do nothing for me.