I got one of these lenses a few years ago for $100 a millimeter!  I used it
a few times but found it just too heavy for my Tiltall tripod.  I got good
results, however.  I got the cannon to add to my collection of SMC Takumar
lenses.  I personally like the SMC 300mm Takumar because it has auto
aperture.  The 400mm SMC Takumar is also good - and much lighter.
Would you see another if you didn't buy it?  I once saw a 1000mm SMC Pentax
K mount lens.  Haven't seen another.  Had it been an SMC Takumar I would
have purchased it.
Good luck!

Jim A.