Don askes:
>>Have I just not experienced a "Great" 135 or is this lens being unfairly treated?

Don,

I've run some subjective tests with Pentax 135's.  The A135/1.8 was best, followed by
the K135/2.5, followed by the M135/3.5, with the Takumar A?135/2.8 bayonet in last
place.  I could see the differences on 4x6 prints.

I think the issue is that the M135/3.5 is so good and cheap, why waist your time with
the Takumar bayonet?  Some folks have stumbled into these lenses and use them as their
135mm prime.  The results are OK if that's the only 135mm prime you have and probably
beat that zoom everyone else is using.

Regards,  Bob S.