Yeah, Chinon actually made the later, series-3 'Made in China' K1000s
with the plastic body, until they were discontinued in '97.

That's actually pretty interesting.  Too bad I can't find any kind of
manufacturer website for them to look at all their models and see
which exact model is made on the old K1000 tooling.  The CM-5 and the
"DSL" both seem pretty close.