Kostas, I have found that mine does not autofocus well on the *ist D, especially in low light. You may need to be certain that you are focusing on a subject with high contrast and strong lines, especially if you are using the central sensor only. Then it will autofocus.

It also had problems autofocusing this lens with my PZ-1p bodies. Upon attaching the lens, I needed to twist the focus ring just a bit until the autofocus drive engaged. Then it would work okay. You might try this.

It is an early autofocus lens, introduced in 1987. I am not sure why it does not autofocus better with later bodies, but it doesn't. I wonder if other F lenses have this problem. Some people have no problems with it.

Joe