Well that must annoy WW so he couldn't have been all bad  :-)

frank theriault wrote:

--- Fred Widall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: <snip>

On the plus side We did visit the 'Diefenbunker'. A
four story, 100,000
square feet, underground bunker constructed during
the height of the cold
war to protect the Prime Minister <snip>

Just in case anyone was wondering (as I'm sure you were!<g>), the Diefenbunker was named after our Prime Minsister of the late '50's and early 60's, the Right Honourable John George Diefenbaker.

Other than having the Diefenbaker constructed, he's
best known for scrapping the Avro Arrow, an all
Canadian supersonic fighter aircraft that would have
been the most advanced military aircraft of its day. He decided to buy American Bomarc missiles instead. The Canadian aviation industry never recovered. He
made sure that even the prototypes were cut up and
sold for scrap, so even though one actually flew, none
remain today.

He also, after he was voted out of office, campaigned
very strongly against the current Canadian flag (you
know, the red maple leaf one), preferring that we
retain the British ensign (he was a staunch
monarchist).

Canadians keep his memory alive by refusing to elect a
prime minister who hails from west of Ontario.

He was from Saskatchewan.  So is Wheatfield.  How's
that for a co-incidence?  <vbg>

Lesson over.  Back to your cameras.

cheers,
frank

PS: Bill, I know Dief the Chief (quaint nickname,
no?) was born in Ontario, but he was raised in Sask...

=====
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears it is
true."  -J. Robert Oppenheimer