From: John Francis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2004 11:57 PM
To: Pentax List
Subject: *ist-Ds popping up everywhere!

I've just spent a day down at Laguna Seca, getting a few shots
at the Monterey Historics.  Imagine my astonishment to run into
another *ist-D user (amongst the flood of Canon and Nikon gear).
The other guy also had a DA 16-45 in his camera bag, so I got
to try it for a couple of shots.  Unfortunately it was really
too wide for where we happened to be, but my first impressions
of the lens were quite favourable.  The one-touch manual focus
on the *ist-D is definitely a nice feature, although I found
the focus ring a little narrow for my taste.

I guess this was karma in operation - earlier on I'd given another
Pentax user (with a SF-X) a chance to play with the FA* 80-200/2.8
while I was using the 28-105.

Here's a shot from the afternoon (taken with the 80-200):

    <http://panix.com/~johnf/temp/mh2004.jpg>

OK - strictly speaking it's not really a 'historic' candidate.  But
Ferrari are the featured marque, and they brought some nice toys.