Hi Brent,

I use to own this very nice short telophoto.  I bought it for the same
reasons you are considering purchasing it; for portrait use.  I liked
it; good color, good bokeh, and very easy to handle.  I shot some very
nice portraits with it.  However, my only complaint with it was that
it was not as sharp as I would have liked it to be.

If you look at the BOA's Gallery: Pentax Lenses Review Web Site:
http://home.att.net/~alnem/html/pentax_primes.html#100,
you can see some of the reviews on this focal length.  I did and that
is why I purchased the SMC-K 105mm f/2.8 (somewhat rare) and sold my
SMC-M 100mm f/2.8.

Nonetheless, the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8 is an excellent performer and can
be found at a good price.

Good Luck!

--
Jose R. Rodriguez