Hi Fred,

I just got a Vivitar Ser.I 24mm f/2.3, ser. no. 2880,xxx. By those same charts you reference in tha URL, I see that you can add mine to your list:
You had:

Vivitar Series 1 24-48/3.8 Auto Zoom
22803xxx = Kino/Kiron, 1978 week 03, lens # xxx

Mine is:
Same lens -
2880xxx = made by Komine, Feb of '78. Less than 30 made by them in that serial number sequence, by the time mine was made..
So, somewhere early in '78 Kino stopped manfacturing and Komine took over.
I don't recall hearing about Komine's excellence (or otherwise) of manufacturing.
I've got to look up Komine...

keith whaley

Fred wrote:

Hello all.

I found an interesting page, "Who made that Vivitar Lens?", on
Stephen Gandy's site at http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm.

So, I dug through my various Vivitar lenses (present and past) for
serial numbers (and records), to see if the method explained at the
above page seemed to work.  I put my serial number decoding results
on my own site at http://www.cetussoft.com/pentax/vivitarsn.htm.

Has anybody else tried this with his/her own Vivitar lenses?

I do have some comments on the method and my results myself, but I
thought I'd first pass the info to the Cult Classic Junkies out
there, to see what you guys thought about all of this...

Fred