Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:37:46 -0700
>I disagree. By the time you print an image on an offset press,
>you can't distinguish between a 10 megapixel digital shot and
>medium format. I wish I could show you the images Clint Clemens
>shot for Jeep and Chrysler European advertising with his 10
>megapixel Canons. They are magnificent and easily the equal
>of anything I've ever seen from an MF ad shooter.
>
>Paul

Absolutely right.

Locally, Cord Camera has a set of prints from digital cameras to show the quality.
They've some very nice prints from 6mp and 11mp.

The 16x20 is a color portrait.  The brilliance is better than film though the color
depth just isn't there.  But it's close enough for the customers.

The 11x14 from 11mp is a picture of a home.  The wood texture isn't the same as film,
but there's pleanty of detail to please the customer.  It's noticably better than the
6mp and perfectly suited to serious print work.

Those of us who appreciate the character of prints from larger negatives also know
that our days are numbered.  (Soon we'll be forced to decide between Bergger and
Forte.  Like there's a difference.)  It's only $6K to get into a new, very useful
scanning back for 4x5.  It's perfect for commercial work and provides that separation
from the hand-held pro.  Just like in the past.  And even though it's not "film", it
does the job for people, and that very nicely.  And that's what counts.

That 10-15 seconds to scan makes it impractical for any place outside where there is
wind.  Bummer.  Or there'd be more out there.  When it gets down to 2-3 seconds for a
quick scan then they'll be used for even people.

Yes, film is superior in some respects.  But not in the ones that count -- the largest
quantity of buying consumers.  It was Kodak's agressive marketing 100 years ago that
gave us the film we so enjoy, and it's Canon taking their place in the world today.

Our children will look at a Pentax digital like we look at an Argus C3.

Sincerely,

C. Brendemuehl

'Every one of us is, even from his mother's womb, a master craftsman of idols.'
-- John Calvin (1509-64)

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com